Are cats allergic to chocolate?

Are cats allergic to chocolate?

Cats aren’t allergic to chocolate – but it can be lethal for them. Chocolate is toxic for cats due to theobromine, something found in the cacao plant. Theobromine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and a plethora of bad symptoms that could lead to a coma and even death in a cat.

The good thing about cats and chocolate is that most cats won’t even go near it. They have no reason to, because they don’t find chocolate as delicious as humans do. Milk chocolate might entice a cat, so beware of that.

What happens if my cat eats chocolate?

Your cat will start to show symptoms of poisoning: restlessness, vomiting, seizures, and others. That’s when you have to act: you need to take your cat to the vet as quick as you can. If possible, bring the chocolate’s wrapper with you to determine how bad the situation is.

The key is to deal with the problem as soon as possible. When you take your cat to the vet, he’ll try to induce vomiting so your cat can purge the chocolate. Sometimes, that won’t be necessary – but that’s up to the vet to decide.

If your cat has eaten chocolate, don’t worry! It’s not necessarily a death sentence but it’s definitely something you should worry about.

How much chocolate is toxic to cats?

Just as little as a small square of chocolate can be lethal to an average-sized cat. This is just a little over 5 grams – which is not that much at all! That’s enough to induce liver failure in a cat, something that could prove lethal.

No matter how little a piece of chocolate is, it can be problematic for a cat. The best strategy when it comes to a cat eating chocolate is to go to the vet right away, there’s no need to risk it! A vet knows exactly what to do and how to keep the situation under control.

How long after eating chocolate will a cat get sick?

Usually, symptoms will appear sometime between 2 and 4 hours after the cat has eaten the chocolate. This isn’t always the case, as symptoms could take up to 24 hours to appear. If you’re lucky, maybe there will be no symptoms and your cat will end up with no problems!

There isn’t a rigid timeline when it comes to cats and chocolate. If your cat seems unfazed after tasting chocolate, call the vet to be sure and tell him your situation. If nothing happens after 24 hours, your cat might be out of danger

What should I do if my cat eats chocolate?

Go to the veterinarian right away! Take your cat and any piece of information, like the chocolate wrapper, with you. If you’re far away from the vet, call him and see if you can solve your problem at home.

The most important thing is not to panic. If you catch it in time, you’ll be able to figure out what to do to help your cat. The important thing is to act quick!

Comments are closed.